[4alabama] Blind & Low Vision Meetings for October Covington County

Wanda Scroggins wareaglewanda at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:53:08 UTC 2010

COVINGTON BLIND & LOW VISION OUTREACH

A group that offers hope, rehabilitation, independent living skills, and resources

for those who have lost their eyesight due to macular degeneration, diabetes,

retinitis pigmentosa, glaucoma and other causes of vision loss.

When: The 1st & 3rd Thursday of the month from 1:00 until 3:00 PM

  October 7th , 2010-Thursday

Where: The Topps Roomat the Andalusia Adult Activity Center

Church Street School Building

Andalusia, Alabama

This week's meeting will be an open format.  We will be discussing our Camp Ex experience at Blue Lake Camp.  at On Setp 26-28th, 2010  the Covington Outreach and other campers filled the piney woods of Blue Lake with laughter and education for experiencing camp as adults.

Upcoming guest speaker:

October 21st, 2010, Thursday-Steve Sullivan with A.I.D.B.  (Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind) in Mobile will be discussing the I Phone for those with low or no vision.  This informative meeting will assist those making cell phone changes in the very near future in our area Alltel coverage.  There will be a model by I Phone that will be accessible by using speech applications on the cell phone.  This I Phone will allow the low vision and blind the opportunity to use text messaging, the internet, and as a phone.

People in our community can benefit with this informative discussion as well.

FREE to anyone coping with vision loss.

The meetings are also informative for spouses, loved ones or friends who assist those with low vision and they are welcome as well.

Contact: Wanda Scroggins 334-428-3335 mobile or

Dirk Price

334.469.2016home

Refreshments, guest speakers, technology demonstrations, helpful hints, sources for public assistance, meet new friends

Come share your experiences and let us help each other for the betterment of the visually challenged community