[4alabama] Thursday's Chat

Robert Kelly rkellyjr at knology.net
Thu Jun 7 02:29:14 UTC 2012

In the field of orientation and mobility (O&M), no name holds more weight or lends more prestige and credibility than that of Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder. Fred was the first blind American to earn a master�s degree in one of the old-line O&M university programs. He is extremely intelligent and highly motivated. More remarkable are the facts and circumstances surrounding his matriculation into the O&M program at San Francisco State University and his subsequent efforts to become certified in the profession.

since professional certification was completely closed to all blind candidates at the time of his graduation (discrimination against the blind was rampant), Fred never received AAWB/AER [American Association of Workers for the Blind/Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind] professional certification, but, to give you, as Paul Harvey says, �the rest of the story,� I would like to state here for the record that Dr. Fred Schroeder is now a certified O&M instructor. It seemed only fitting that he receive the very first National Orientation and Mobility Certification ever presented by the National Blindness Professional Certification Board.

We have the honor of having Dr. Fred K. Schroder as our guest onPhone Faith  tonight, Thursday, June 7. To hear Fred’s fascinating story, join us. Simply call 616.515.2970 and follow the prompts to room 7 at 7 pm central.

See you there!!