[4Alabama] Fwd: Accessible Voting

rkellyjr at charter.net rkellyjr at charter.net
Wed Sep 9 18:26:32 UTC 2020

Please discontinue sending emails as I am leaving Charter Service
partnership between the Secretary of State, National Federation of the
 Blind of Alabama (NFB) and Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind
(AIDB)
 realizes we are experiencing unprecedented times trying to navigate
all
 aspects of our daily lives, including voting, during the COVID-19
pandemic.
 Because of the pandemic, many voters in Alabama may want to vote by
 absentee ballot during the upcoming November General Election.
However, the
 traditional method of voting absentee, via a paper ballot, is only
 accessible to blind, low-vision, and other voters with print
disabilities
 by visiting their local Absentee Election Manager. The National
Federation
 of the Blind of Alabama and Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind are
 diligently working with Alabama’s Secretary of State John Merrill
 explore the potential of implementing an accessible ballot delivery
 platform for the November 3rd General Election so that voters with
print
 disabilities can mark their ballot safely and independently at home.

 We believe it is imperative that Alabama provide as many options for
ballot
 marking as possible to our blind community. Voting is one of the
greatest
 rights and responsibilities that we have in our democratic Republic.
It is
 important that we can vote for initiatives and candidates of our
choice.

 Below, you will find a list of possible ways for a voter to cast a
ballot.
 Please rank your top three choice for methods to vote during our
upcoming
 November General Election.

 -

 Visit the polling place on election day and use an accessible machine
 for voters with disabilities
 -

 Vote early at the Circuit Clerk/Absentee Election Manager Office as
an
 absentee voter and use an accessible machine for voters with
disabilities
 -

 Paper absentee ballot
 -

 Braille absentee ballot
 -

 At home electronic absentee ballot, through an accessible electronic
 ballot delivery system

 An online survey has been developed to collect your accessible voting
 preferences. This electronic survey is screen reader accessible.
However,
 if you need assistance please contact your local AIDB Regional
Center. The
 survey will close on September 15, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. The survey
should be
 completed only once by voting age Alabamians who are Blind, Visually
 Impaired, Deaf/Blind or Print Disabled. This information will be
reviewed
 by the Alabama Secretary of State’s office to consider options for
the
 upcoming General Election. The survey link is below:

  -

 Mobile app Vote for Alabama
 -

 Register by Mail
 -

 Driver’s licensing office
 -

 Department of Rehabilitation
 -

 Medicaid Agency
 -

 WIC Program, Department of Public Health
 -

 Department of Human Resources
 -

 County and select municipal libraries

 If you plan to vote in the November 3rd General Election, the
deadline to
 register to vote is October 19, 2020. The deadline to apply for an
absentee
 ballot for the November 3rd General Election is October 29, 2020.

Links:
------