[4Alabama] 2022 Resolutions:

Jennifer Reeves auburngirl2021 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 17:21:24 UTC 2022

*2022 Resolutions:*

On July 9 at the 2022 National Convention of the National Federation of the
Blind, the Federation passed eighteen resolutions. All of these resolutions
have been posted to our website and can be read at nfb.org/resolutions
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/resolutions&source=gmail-imap&ust=1660583397000000&usg=AOvVaw3gPlML0RjHRJIcuWtx9kk_>.

*Senate Committee on Aging Hearing Regarding Accessible Federal Technology:*

On Thursday, July 28, Anil Lewis testified before the US Senate Special
Committee on Aging on the importance of accessible federal websites and
technology. Anil’s full written testimony
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/anil-lewiss-testimony-senate-special-committee-aging&source=gmail-imap&ust=1660583397000000&usg=AOvVaw2wrD47HpDgNGsrYom-wRu4>
can be found on the Policy Statements page
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements&source=gmail-imap&ust=1660583397000000&usg=AOvVaw09YP3M1Xv05q_Ho-R991jf>
of our website.

*United States Postal Service Report Regarding Free Matter for the Blind:*

On Tuesday, July 26, the United States Postal Service Inspector General
released a report with the result of their review of the Free Matter for
the Blind Program, as requested by Senators Van Hollen, Hyde-Smith, Peters,
and Portman. The report is available online at
https://www.uspsoig.gov/document/free-matter-blind
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.uspsoig.gov/document/free-matter-blind&source=gmail-imap&ust=1660583397000000&usg=AOvVaw0T3P491EBvkl56HXyH9EBW>
.

*Justice Department and Department of Health and Human Services Issue Joint
Guidance on Nondiscrimination in Telehealth:*

The NFB applauds DOJ and HHS for recently issuing guidance on
nondiscrimination in telehealth, and we encourage members and health-care
providers to review this important information available on HHS’s website
at
https://www.hhs.gov/civil-rights/for-individuals/disability/guidance-on-nondiscrimination-in-telehealth/index.html
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.hhs.gov/civil-rights/for-individuals/disability/guidance-on-nondiscrimination-in-telehealth/index.html&source=gmail-imap&ust=1660583397000000&usg=AOvVaw2XkC628AuYmKLEQ5uzwvjr>
.

*Social Security Administration Kiosks:*

The NFB continues to seek information about the accessibility of the Social
Security Administration’s current visitor-intake-processing methods. If you
have visited an SSA field office since their reopening in April 2022, plan
to visit an office soon, or would be interested in being a tester for the
NFB, please contact Valerie Yingling at 410-659-9314, extension 2440, or
legal at nfb.org. We are specifically gathering information on whether the
field offices are using kiosk, web-based, or human check-in processes, and
whether these processes are accessible to blind individuals.

The NFB continues to gather information regarding Uber and Lyft ride
denials not only due to service animals, but also related to a traveler’s
use of a white cane, as well as access barriers on the companies’ apps. We
know that rideshare drivers continue to discriminate and request that you
complete NFB’s rideshare discrimination survey
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/rideshare-discrimination-survey&source=gmail-imap&ust=1660583397000000&usg=AOvVaw0KUeaheF4gMbUKJS9FBxtZ>
and share your experiences with us for our continued legal advocacy.

We want to highlight blind workers in blue collar jobs in our upcoming
segment. If we have members who are mechanics, machinists, carpenters, hair
stylists, wait staff, hospitality, or other crafts and labor jobs, we want
to hear from them. While we are at it, we are looking for a range of blind
people working in all sorts of interesting jobs and careers, so please join
our efforts to feature them in our *Where the Blind Work* series by
contacting Maurice Peret, coordinator of career mentoring and employment

programs, at mperet at nfb.org

Warm Regards,