[4Alabama] Upcoming Early Childhood Initiatives: Santa Letters and Winter Celebration Program:

Jennifer Reeves auburngirl2021 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 13:49:28 UTC 2023

*Upcoming Early Childhood Initiatives: Santa Letters and Winter Celebration
Program:*

The National Federation of the Blind provides Braille letters celebrating
Christmas and winter holidays for blind children. We are excited to provide
letters in English and Spanish again this year. Parents of children under
age ten can select the option that best fits their family.

We invite parents to begin requesting these Braille activity packets online
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters&source=gmail-imap&ust=1700911809000000&usg=AOvVaw1SS7kvmkyCrQa4FfP6Rd9U>,
via fax at 410-685-5653, or via email at communityrelations at nfb.org on
November 6. We will start mailing celebration packets around December 4,
but you can request packets until December 15.

Each packet will include a Braille letter, a print letter, and some fun
activities for the whole family to share. Learn more about the Santa
Letters and Winter Celebration Program on the NFB website
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters&source=gmail-imap&ust=1700911809000000&usg=AOvVaw1SS7kvmkyCrQa4FfP6Rd9U>.

*Happy Federation Anniversary: *

The National Federation of the Blind was founded November 16, 1940, in
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Celebrate by reading history of the organized
blind movement. Here are two publications: *Building the Lives We Want*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/building-lives-we-want&source=gmail-imap&ust=1700911809000000&usg=AOvVaw3fvgBwsNBt1_ReDy1vHcd3>
and *Walking Alone and Marching Together*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/books/wamt/wamtc.htm&source=gmail-imap&ust=1700911809000000&usg=AOvVaw1EetBOZ9RIu9LexnDJDB6C>
.

*Catch Up on Content:*

Highlights, news, and stories are available in the most recent *Braille
Monitor*, *Nation’s Blind Podcast*, and *Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog*.
The following are National Federation of the Blind publications for you to
access and share with Federationists:

   - November *Braille Monitor*
   <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm23/bm2310/bm2310tc.htm&source=gmail-imap&ust=1700911809000000&usg=AOvVaw0pcAaFr56wGRVHue56SRYK>
   - *Nation’s Blind Podcast *episode*, *#BlindMonth 2023
   <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast&source=gmail-imap&ust=1700911809000000&usg=AOvVaw1iorhNW_UD4KLAP2geX4MJ>
   - Blog article*, **Blind Kids Can: Krystal Guillory’s Federation Story*
   <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/blog/blind-kids-can-krystal-guillorys-federation-story&source=gmail-imap&ust=1700911809000000&usg=AOvVaw3IErNUwrwIxy_2xVkHF5qG>

*NFB EQ for Parents: A STEM Learning Toolkit for Parents of Blind Children:*

The National Federation of the Blind understands that with the proper
tools, environment, and encouragement blind people can participate equally
in any career field they choose. As a parent, you want to support your
child in participating actively in all areas of their education, including
science and math. The STEM Learning Toolkit for Parents of Blind Children
was designed to support you as the parent of a blind child in guiding your
child’s successes in STEM and much more. To learn more about the toolkit,
visit
https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/national-center-blind-youth-science/nfb-eq/nfb-eq-parents
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/national-center-blind-youth-science/nfb-eq/nfb-eq-parents&source=gmail-imap&ust=1700911809000000&usg=AOvVaw3ImEVVvA7StFsSwzNViAoL>
.

*NFB EQ for Teachers: A Nonvisual & Accessible Engineering Curriculum:*

The National Federation of the Blind has always been an innovator when it
comes to education, technology, and access. We believe that STEM learning
should be accessible for all, including blind and low-vision youth. As our
world is evolving to become more and more digital, we discovered a need to
create a version of our popular NFB EQ curriculum that is digitally
accessible, free, and publicly available. In other words, an online, Open
Educational Resource (OER) that allows educators to access the NFB EQ
curriculum remotely — from anywhere. To access the curriculum, visit
https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/national-center-blind-youth-science/nfb-eq/nfb-eq-teachers
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/national-center-blind-youth-science/nfb-eq/nfb-eq-teachers&source=gmail-imap&ust=1700911809000000&usg=AOvVaw26pzkFUo_iMh1JPsskvxdL>
.