[AABS-Forum] Biology accommodations

Dezman Jackson jackson.dezman at gmail.com
Tue May 8 02:01:55 UTC 2018

Jessica,

Kind of a loaded question. I am assuming you are asking more about the
laboratory component of the course?
Having taken several biology courses, I have used a variety of
accommodations and wouldn't say one size fits all.
In terms of the lab, I have found that the fact that it's typically done in
small groups provides accommodation in itself in that your partners are able
to describe what they might be seeing under a microscope, the appearance of
a gram-stain, etc.
Also, if the idea is to view different structures such as cell organelles,
types of tissues, etc from specimen, there seems to be an abundance of
tactile dirgrams and models which it wouldn't be out-of-the-question to ask
disability services to order.
I have also talked with the instructor in advance and gotten a preview of
the lab in terms of where certain equipment is located and so forth so that
you can participate as fully as possible.
Finally, I would say have an effective way of taking notes/performing
calculations be that in hard copy braille or some type of electronic device.
Be sure that you are able to get the lab procedures in an accessible format
beforehand so that you can read over them in advanced. This always made me
feel more prepared and able to contribute to the group.
In some instances I have had a person come in specifically to be a lab
assistant for me, but honestly I don't feel this should be necessary in
lower-level biology courses. Jessica because you have worked in lab type
environments, this might even be an advantage for you.

As for the lecture part of the course, I would say it's pretty typical of
any other lecture (i.e. an effective way to take notes, perhaps being able
to get lecture outlines in advance, professor verbalizing information, etc).
Hope that helps.

Dezman