[Ag-eq] Anyone still on the list? Plants for the blind

Laurie Porter freespirit1 at tds.net
Sat Jan 31 02:24:17 UTC 2009

yes, we grow oysters and shiiatakes. We buy our spores online and anoculate
them ourselves. Shiiatakes like hollowed elm to grow in. It took a while to
get them going for a decent crop. We sell the mushrooms dried. There still
hasn't been anyone who has had success in  commercially coltivating the
delicious and elusive morales, but Wisconsin's full of them. They sell for
incredible prices, but we buy them and dry them so folks can get them all
year. We are not going to do it this year, because up here people don't mind
paying $50 plus a pound for the fresh ones, but once the small season is
over, farmers market shoppers don't want to get dried ones. Last year, we
sold them to a local restaurant, but we lost money on them.

Otherwise, mushrooms can become lucrative if you have the patience for them.