[Ag-eq] My husband wants to Farm

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Thu Jun 18 14:35:42 UTC 2009

Hi doris,

I am so sorry I have not replied before now!

My name is susan and my husband, Matt, and I have a farm in Hanover County,
Virginia.  This farm is my family farm and we are striving to bring it back
to the level when my grandparents started in the early 1900's.

I have been totally blind for nearly 32 years and my husband is sighted and
works nights at Richmond international Airport, ExpressJet, as a maintenance
supervisor.

Right now, I have 3 flocks of chickens and they supply brown eggs for my
small egg business.  We put in a 20 tree fruit orchard last fall.  We have a
section for vegetables that we harvest for select customers and another we
use as an experimental garden.  This garden we try out new plants and seeds,
and different techniques to see if they would not only be a viable addition
to the larger garden, but to see what method works in a smaller scale before
taking the time and effert on a larger scale.  We have a bit more gardening
wise, herbs, flowers and a cutting garden, but the majority of that is still
on paper or very limited.

We've been trying to finish up the barn in order to try our hand at two
dairy goats and some sheep for wool, but my motto has been and willl always
be, barns and fencing first, then the animals, one breed at a time.

There is no formal training that I know specifically designed for the blind
that I know of, however, Perkins School for the blind does have horticulture
in their cariculum.  I will look that link up and post it.  Also, there is a
site called local harvest that you can set up for your specific location and
they will send you events and other information pertaining to local harvests
and such right where you are.

Since your husband has already a background in gardening, he is more than
halfway there!

What does he see as a problem ingardening that he is dealing with right now?
Let's start there.  Please feel free to post here or directly to me at my
e-mail address below.  I know there are others here who would be interested
in his progress as we go along.

Sincerely excited to help!
Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net