[Ag-eq] clickers

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Mon Mar 15 19:57:32 UTC 2010

Hi Ryan,

This is just my opinion but I don't like using clickers for training dogs or
horses.

Clickers were first used by marine mammal trainers to instantly signal them
that they had done a desired behavior then the animals came to the edge of
the pool for their reward.

It is not necessary to delay rewards with dogs and horses because we are in
direct contact with them.  We can give treats, praise and rub them to reward
them.

Dogs and horses love being praised and that is an important part of
training.  By adding clickers I just think it is an unnecessary step and an
artificial one lacking in emotional support.

JODY