[Ag-eq] the Icelandic

Nella Foster nfoster at extremezone.com
Mon May 10 04:48:59 UTC 2010

Well, after much deliberation I decided against getting the Icelandic horse.  He is a wonderful horse and a lot of fun, but doesn't go into his gaits as well as I would like.  I'm sure that could be improved, but am concerned that my health might keep me from being as consistent as I would need to be with him.

After seriously evaluating my time and energy level I came to the realization that taking on the responsibility of another large animal just wasn't a good idea.  Allie is pretty comfortable for me and I love riding her.  Jack is always dependable and perfect when I just want a slow relaxing ride.  Cricket is a little difficult to handle and the least comfortable for me, but I still like using her on short rides and for packing.  I feel fortunate to have 3 animals that I feel safe on; I know their quirks and what to expect from them.

Maybe later when these guys are to old, or if I have more time and energy I'll look for a gaited horse.  Until then I'm going to be happy with my wonderful little mules!