[Ag-eq] german shepherds

Nella Foster nfoster at extremezone.com
Wed Jun 30 01:46:16 UTC 2010

Fred:

Your dog sounds so neat!  I bet he's a real character.

I've never had a German Shepherd as a guide dog, only as pets.  I love the
breed.  They are very smart, energetic, but sensitive.  I agree with you
that they aren't for everyone.  They need to be kept busy; if not they will
get themselves into trouble!

Unfortunately there has been a lot of bad breeding over the years and they
are prone to many health problems.  I thing bad breeding has also caused
some undesirable temperaments.

They can be quite protective; they were bread to keep predators away from
live stock.  My shepherds know what is their property and will let me know
if anyone or anything is threatening.