[Ag-eq] my chickens

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Mon Jul 5 00:52:29 UTC 2010

Nella,

Yes, the laying food is only bad for them if you give it to them too early.
The calcium in it may also build in their bodies because their body doesn't
have anywhere for it to go if they are not laying or nearly laying yet.  I
also never gave them crushed oyster shells until they started laying.  We
also, once they had started laying, added about 3 tablespoons of white
vinegar to their water everytime we filled their waterers.  This helps the
hens to metabolize the calcium into their system.  This was very important
if you noticed thin egg shells or on rare occasions, an egg that was laid
with no shell, just the membrane for a shell.  That would feel so weird in
your hands, almost like a thin reptile egg.  Just so you'll know, your egg
shells will be thinner than store baught eggs.  It took me a bit to get use
to that without cracking them too hard.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net