[Ag-eq] Worms and other things

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Tue Feb 14 05:44:54 UTC 2012

Susan:

It sounds as if worms would be a great addition to your farm.  It's amazing how
they can break so many things down and benefit the soil.

How many chickens do you have now and what is the average amount of eggs that
you get?

I have 6 hens and average 4 eggs a day.  Sometimes I get as many as 3 dozen in a
week.  One of my neighbors buys eggs or trades for them.

Do you have to have a special permit to sell home made bread?

In Arizona you must have a food handler card and all food must be prepared in a
commercial kitchen.  I was interested in selling bread and other baked goods
until I realized all the laws!

I started baking home made pet treats, which is much easier.  A local tack store
is selling them for me and I take them to horse and dog related events.  People
seem very happy with them and I'm getting more and more requests.

Arizona is also very strict about the sale of any dairy products.  I have sold
some goat milk, but I have to stress to the buyer that is not for human
consumption.  What they do with it afterwards is up to them.  Getting a dairy
certified is difficult and it just wouldn't be worth it for my little herd of
4!

I would love to hear more about your farm and what all you are selling.

Nella