[Ag-eq] Dream come true

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Tue Apr 3 22:26:11 UTC 2012

I will be more than happy to talk to you till the cows come home about
chickens!  Inside the coop you will need some sort of nest boxes and a few
pirches because there will be a few hens and a rooster if you get one, that
will prefer to pirch at night instead of occupying a nest box.  We have one
or two windows in each coop for light and air circulation with heavy gage
screen over them.  I have 3 coops that ar 5 by 12 feet and 6 feet high
inside.  Each coop has a fenced in run attached to the front that is 12 foot
squared with chicken wire fencing all around and over the top.  There are
way too many hunting dogs that pass through our 60 acres and a healthy farel
cat population that has been here for about 50 years.

Check out your coop and let me know what it looks like.

Does it matter to you if you have brown or white eggs?  It doesn't to me,
however, my husband and customers only want brown, so needless to say, all
of my 3 breeds are brown egg layers.

I am hoping to get another 20 hens by the end of the month.  I really want
to get Red Stars or Rhode Island Reds, but the further April gets the less
choice I may have.  I will probably end up with a mixed hen assortment, but
as long as they lay large brown eggs I can't complain too much.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net