[Ag-eq] horse training

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Thu Oct 4 00:00:52 UTC 2012

Jody:

I think your idea for mucking out stalls is a good one.  Mine spend little time
in their stalls; I use them when feeding.  They have a quarter acre paddock to
move around in and tend to releave themselves in the same 3 areas.  This makes
it easier for me, I just rake up those areas.  I do hire a neighbor girl to
help with cleaning, but know I can do it if necessary.

You can keep hooves clean totally by feel.  I keep my horse and mule barefoot
and I think it is easier to keep their feet clean.  I use a hoof pick and a
wire brush; first I pick the hoof, then brush it out.

I don't keep bells on my guys since they only have a quarter acre, but it might
be a good idea for larger areas.  I don't think it is safe to leave halters on
horses, but a bell could be attached to the fly mask.  I used to have a mule
that was hard to catch and would listen for her foot falls to find her.
Sometimes it took a few minutes, but she would always turn and come to me after
a little bit.  The horse and mule I have now usually meet me at the gate!

Running your hands over the horse is an excelleant way to fine injuries and you
are right, most horses like the attention.  My guys loved being brushed and
handled.  My mule loves baths, but the horse isn't quite as crazy about them.

I hope all is going well for you in the new home.  I look forward to hearing
more.

Take care.

Nella