[Ag-eq] horse training

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Thu Oct 4 03:33:05 UTC 2012

I have found bells to be very helpful; I also attach them to my friends horses
so I can follow better on the trail.

Over the years I have had 3 different mules and 3 different horses and only 1
horse wore shoes.  I do use old Mack boots when riding in really rocky areas.
The barefoot trimmer trims Jack and Cruiser every 6 to 8 weeks.  I have never
tried filing the hooves myself.  I think that hoof care is so important that I
would rather leave it to the professionals.  It's also really hard work and I
don't think my body is up to it!  I always use a barefoot trimmer and not just
a farrier.  Bare feet need to be trimmed differently than horses wearing shoes.

Out of all my animals the only one with lameness issues was the one with shoes.
The mules never had hoof problems and I rarely used the Old Macks.  Cruiser, my
current horse seems to have very hard feet, so far I haven't had to boot him.

Nella