[Ag-eq] horse training

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Thu Oct 4 15:20:38 UTC 2012

Hi Jody:

I'll try and explain how I do ground work.  Keep in mind I'm no expert and am
learning as I go.

The only horse I've done much ground work with is my Missouri Fox Trotter, named
Cruiser.  I used to do a little with my mules Allie and Cricket as well.  I
always kept Allie and Cricket on a longe line; I usually would longe them a
little before riding.  I would just have them go in a few circles each
direction.  This seem to make them a little calmer before riding.  I was using
a pretty short line, so I could really feel what they were doing.

I have done a few of the Parelli games with all the horses and mules I've owned.
 I'm not sure how to spell Parelli, he is a very well known natural trainer.
I'm sure some of you have heard of him.

One of the games is to have the horse move away from pressure.  You touch the
horse in different places, using more pressure as needed.  As soon as they move
you release pressure.  I say the word "over" as I apply the pressure.  I get
them to move forward, backward and from side to side.  I use a rope halter and
a 6 foot lead when doing this.

Another game is to get the horse used to being touched all over.  I start with
my hands and then get them used to objects.  I like to slide ropes all over
them especially their legs.  I also use plastic bags and other things that make
noise.  Many horses are afraid of the sound of plastic and paper.  Cruiser still
has a long way to go!  I also touch them with the whip and a stick with a flag.
In the beginning you may not be able to actually touch them with the object.  As
soon as the horse stops moving I remove the contact or bring the object further
away if not actually touching the horse.  The release is the reward, so timing
is very important.  Again I'm using a 6 foot lead and rope halter.

The other game I use involves leading the horse.  The goal is to walk the horse
on a very loose lead.  The horse should be watching you and moving with you.
In the beginning you may have to have some pressure on the lead rope to get
them to follow.  Cruiser is very good at this.  He stops when I stop, he
follows me to the left, the right.  and will even back when I walk backward.  I
tend to keep horses pretty close when leading, about an arms length away.  Many
trainers will think this is to close, but it works for me.  I like to know where
his head is.  If you practice this enough, eventually you can do it without a
lead rope.

I believe there are 7 Parelli games, but don't know them all.  There are lots of
books and DVDs of his stuff.  Many other natural horsemen use similar
techniques.  It would probably be a good idea to have a trainer walk you
through some of this in the beginning.

Cruiser is the only horse I've really used the round pen with.  I use it mostly
as a form of exercise.  I have fibro myalgia and don't always feel like riding
him.  My round pen is 60 across, most will be 50 or 60.  I have a piece of
plywood laying on the ground so I can easily find the center.  I send Cruiser
away from me by poiting to the rail with my handy stick.  I then tap the ground
with the stick to get him moving.  Cruiser had a lot of anxiety about the round
pen in the beginning.  He would just take off and gallop circles, it was hard
to get him to stop or slow.  We don't know why he did this, but it made him
nervous.  I think some one must have made him run and nothing else.  He is much
better now and much more relaxed.

I do not use the longe line; I don't have one long enough.  When I want him to
slow I tell him easy and keep my body very relaxed, the handy stick down at my
side.  If I want him to pick it up I tell him flat walk, fox trot or canter.  I
don't always get what I want, but have hopes!  I also tap the ground behind him
with the handy stick.  If he goes faster than I want I slow him again.  If he
starts moving in towards me I make my body big and step toward him.  When I want
him to turn I step toward his head and swing the handy stick.  I usually have to
make my body big too.  When I want him to come in to me I ask him to slow and
then walk away from him.  As I do this I bring my hand to my chest, like the
recall sign for dogs.

As I said before it's not perfect, but we're getting better.  Other people may
have better ideas and methods.  I plan on taking some ground work classes and
practice, practice, practice.  Cruiser really loves me and wants to please,
which makes things easier.  He really tries to understand what I want.

I hope I've been able to answer some of your questions.  If you have any mnore
I'll do my best to explain.  I've owned horses for several years and am
constantly learning.

Nella