[Ag-eq] horse training

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Thu Oct 4 16:26:22 UTC 2012

Jody:

A couple more things about the round pen.

I have the bells on Cruiser; I usually use 2 of them.  I have them on a clip so
I can easily move them around.

I also really listen to his feet so I can know what gait he's in.  Sometimes I
have a hard time telling the difference between his flat walk and fox trot.

I stay very calm and keep my energy down since Cruiser is anxious about the
round pen.  It doesn't take much to get him moving.  I have seen a few horses
that are very lazy in the pen and the owners had to stay after them the whole
time.

The natural horsemanship people are all about the horse not turning away from
you.  They think it's a sign of disrespect.  Sometimes it is hard to tell when
they turn away.  I'm not so concerned about this with Cruiser, but it can be an
issue with other horses.

I also work with all the horses and mules with my cane.  I want them to be used
to it, so I don't get kicked.  I have been able to bump all of them around
their back legs with no problems.  Sometimes I find myself using my cane like a
handy stick.  I will point to the stalls, the gate and such.  They don't seem to
know the difference.

All the mules and horses got used to walking on my left side so I can use my
cane in my right hand.  It is good to get them used to everything on both sides.

Nella