[Ag-eq] horse training

Liz Lewis liz4jesus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 12:49:06 UTC 2012

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ag-eq [mailto:ag-eq-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
nfoster at extremezone.com
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 12:13 AM
To: Agricultural and Equestrean Division List
Subject: Re: [Ag-eq] horse training

Liz:

You asked about barefoot for horses, so I will try to explain what I know.
There is a lot of really good information on line.  Pete Ramey is one well
known barefoot trimmer and teacher that has lots of good information.

The barefoot idea came from studying the hooves of wild horses.  Wild horses
tend to have very hard and healthy feet.  Some of this is genetics, if they
can't get around they just don't make it.  Wild horse hooves have a certain
shape and are constantly being worn down by movement.

Most domestic horses dont' get to move enough to naturally keep their hooves
trimmed.  Horses who are always on pasture, in stalls or on soft ground tend
to have softer feet.  This is why people started shoeing horses.

Shoers often keep the toe longer and the heel of the hoof shorter.  Over
time this can cause the heel to contract.  Most barefoot trimmers will keep
the toe shorter and the heel a little longer.  They also roll the edge of
the hoof, so they are less likely to catch the edge of the hoof.  They also
leave more of the sole and frog of the hoof, which is a natural cushion.  It
is also believed that the horse shoe nails weaken the hoof wall over time.

Many horses do very well barefoot, but others have problems.  It can be
difficult to transision an older horse to barefoot.  Since domestic horses
don't have to practice survival of the fittist, some of them just have weak
hooves.
Most horses who are kept barefoot will still need boots if they are used on
rocky areas or for long distances.

  There are some die hard barefoot trimmers who believe that the proper
barefoot trim can cure all hoof issues.  I don't believe this and I've seen
some very lame horses that were barefoot.  People need to do their research
before taking their horses barefoot.  It is also very, very important to
find a good barefoot trimmer.  Many farriers will say they can trim, but
they trim the hoof as they would if they were going to shoe.

  As I said in an earlier post I've kept most of my animals barefoot.  My
first mare had some hoof problems and had to have corrective shoeing most of
her life.  I had a gelding that had to be booted if I rode him in rocks or
any distance at all.  To the best of my knowledge none of my 3 mules ever
had shoes and they never had any hoof problems.  I rarely had to use the
boots on them and I rode them in some pretty crazy, rocky areas.  I still
have 1 mule left, who is almost 30 and he still has great feet.  Cruiser
also has excellant hooves  I think he was shoed 3 or 4 times before I got
him, but the people stopped riding him, so they stopped paying for shoes.
He has very strong feet.
I rode him for 7 miles in the rocks this morning and he was fine.  I usually
carry his boots, so if we need them I can stop and put them on.  So far I've
never had to use them.

I hope I've answered some of your questions.

Nella

Quoting Liz Lewis <liz4jesus at gmail.com>:

> I looked him up and watched some of his videos online.  Thanks!  Can
> anyone tell me more about barefoot trimming?  The advantages?

Ag-eq:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ag-eq_nfbnet.org/liz4jesus%40gmail.c
> om

Ag-eq: