[Ag-eq] horse training

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Mon Oct 8 16:08:45 UTC 2012

Jody:

I don't give my horses any special supplements.  They always have a salt block
and a mineral block, but that is all.  Jack the old mule is on some joint
supplements, but nothing especially for the hooves.  They eat Bermuda hay,
Timothy hay and a timy bit of alfalfa.  I also soak pellets, beet pulp and oats
for them.  I soak the food because Jack has 4 missing teeth and his remaining
teeth are very worn.  Cruiser was injured in a trailer several years ago and
has some paralysis in his jaw.  He cannot eat hay efficiently enough for it to
be his whole diet.  They seem to get everything they need and are very healthy.

The boots that I use, are used for protection from rocks and hard ground.  I
believe there are some boots designed especially to protect the hooves from
hitting each other.

I used Old Mack boots on the mules, I don't think they make the style I have any
more.  I can't remember which ones I have for Cruiser.  As I said before I've
never had to use his.

Nella