[Ag-eq] Selling Eggs

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Mon Oct 29 09:11:26 UTC 2012

Jody,

Regarding selling egs at the farmers market.  I am going to have to purchase
more hens this spring from Eden Farms.  They will be about 4 weeks or so
come March and I am looking for 2 flocks, 20 to 25 hens each and 1 rooster
for each flock.  I don't like having hens without a rooster because they are
flighty, pushy at feeding time and generally don't seem to have the since to
come in out of the rain.  LOL.

I am going to try for Red Stars and Rhode Island Reds.  We lost our oldest
bird, a Rhode Island Red rooster named Red, on Memorial Day and I really
miss that old coot!  He was mean and onnery, but he was the most careing
protecter/provider of his girls I had ever delt with.  He would sit up on
the outside pirch next to the fencing wire and take bundles of grass from
you through the wire.  He'd then toss each bundle on the ground and give a
little chuck chucksound and call his hens over to eat the grass he put there
for them.  He would not eat any of it until they had their full.  He was a
big beautiful rooster, brick red body with a large curved tail full of
eridessent green feathers.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net