[Ag-eq] Choosing Hens

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Wed Oct 31 12:54:41 UTC 2012

Hi Nella,

I have not tried the Red Stars before, but maybe you should try the Black
Stars because they are smaller than the Red Stars.  Below is the write ups
that comes from Eden Farms where I get my chickens.

I already have the following hens from them:
Barred Rock
Buff Orpington
1 loan Black Australorp

Barred Rock
Barred Rocks are a hardy American breed with a striking black & white
feather pattern. They are good layers of light brown eggs, and will
occasionally decide
to "set" (hatch) their eggs. The hens have bold personalities and tend to
rule the roost. Males are sometimes aggressive but very beautiful, with more
white in their feather patterns than the females. Quite bright and
adventuresome, Barred Rocks make excellent foragers and are one of our
favorite breeds.

Buff Orpington
A calm, laid-back English breed that loves hatching eggs and taking care of
the chicks. Hens are a soft golden color and lay large, light brown eggs.
Roosters
are a brilliant, shiny gold with flowing tails and lovely crowing voices,
and are almost never aggressive. If a sweet, live-and-let-live temperament
is
important to you, this breed tops the list!

Red Star
This is a hybrid breed, with Rhode Island Red and White Leghorn parentage.
Hens are light auburn in color, with some white or gold highlights. They are
excellent layers of big brown eggs, and have friendly temperaments. Roosters
are mostly white, with a dark red "saddle" mark on their backs. Because they
are hybrids, a male and female Red Star will not hatch Red Star chicks, so
most people choose this breed strictly for their exceptional egg-laying
ability.

 Ameraucana
Often called the "Easter Egg Chicken", because these attractive hens lay
eggs in pastel shades of blue, green, and olive. The eggs are darker colored
when
the hens first start laying, and lighten gradually as the birds age. The
yolk and white are normal color and taste just like other eggs, although
some
of our customers say they can tell a difference. The birds themselves come
in a beautiful array of patterns and colors, including solid white, but
their
legs and feet are always olive green or blue. Most Ameraucanas have muffy
little beards that make them look like Muppets. Ameraucanas do not typically
hatch their eggs, but there are exceptions. These chickens are lots of fun
for kids, and perfect for anyone who wants something different.

Black Star
This is a hybrid breed, with Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock parentage.
Their color can range from completely black to varying degrees of a pretty
golden
lace pattern (up to approximately half gold), with a beautiful green/purple
iridescence on the darker feathers. They are curious, people-oriented
chickens
and excellent layers of big brown eggs, but do not usually decide to
incubate their eggs and hatch chicks. Black Stars are one of the smallest
breeds listed
here, although they are considerably larger than bantams. Because they are
hybrids, a Black Star hen and rooster will not produce Black Star chicks.

Rhode Island Red
A well-known American heritage breed that is one of our most popular types.
These calm, full-size hens are good layers of big, brown eggs. The hens are
not known for being good setters or mothers, but there are occasional
exceptions. Rhode Island Red roosters are a dark, shiny mahogany color with
a beautiful
green iridescence on their tails. Unfortunately, many males of this breed
have aggressive tendencies.

Blue Marans
This French breed is relatively new to America, and is still quite rare.
Marans lay eggs that vary from very dark brown to lighter brown with dark
brown
speckles, and belong to a class of poultry known as the "Chocolate Eggers".
The eggs are the darkest in color when the hens have first started laying
(around
the age of 6 to 7 months), and gradually lighten in color until the birds
take a short break from laying. When the eggs resume, they will again be a
very
dark color. The varieties we have are blue, which is a lovely smoky gray,
and Blue Splash, which is white with flecks of bluish gray. Hens are quiet,
well-mannered,
and make very good setters. Marans are a large breed; hens weigh 6 to 7
pounds, and roosters top out at 9 to 10 pounds. Due to their extreme size,
Maran
roosters (although gentle and mild-mannered) should not be kept with smaller
breeds of hens. Because of their rarity in Virginia, as well as our limited
supply, Marans cost about twice as much as most of the other breeds of
chickens we have for sale, but for the collector or serious hobbyist, a
couple of
these stately hens are a fun and beautiful addition to the flock.