[Ag-eq] Choosing Hens

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Thu Nov 8 04:31:33 UTC 2012

Nella,

I believe there is at least one more breed that lays the dark brown eggs.
My problem is the hatcheries either only ship firtal eggs or day old chicks.
Neither of which I have the facilities to handle because I do not have power
to any of my coops.  That is why I only take chicks between 4 and 8 weeks
old, which also means I pay more than day old chick prices.

We are considering stripping out our 10 by 20 foot garage/storage building
for chicks and/or a small egg incubater since there is power in there.  The
building has never had a vehicle in it, it has a cement floor, 4 electric
plugs, inside and outside light and is right next to the cabin.  There would
be no heat or air and there are no windows, but that would not be necessary
because the chicks would be confined to a rectangle pin, open at the top,
with a heat lamp on and hanging on one end while the other end would give
the chicks enough room to cool off away from the heat lamp.  Like I said, it
is just another option we are tossing around to expand our chicken breeds
because we are very limited when we buy older chicks.

Time will tell!

I have to tell you a funny.  We have an elderly lady just down the road in
her upper 80's and her name is MS. Ruby.  She has been getting eggs from us
for quite some time.  She called and left a message that she wanted a dozen
eggs and if possible, she wanted 2 dozen eggs.  Well, this is the time our
hens stop laying and I'm lucky to get 3 eggs in 7 days, but we happened to
have just 1 dozen ready.  We had also stopped selling for the year and were
just keeping the eggs for ourselves.  I told Matt just to take them on to
MS. Ruby, but let her know there would be no more eggs this year.  He did
just that, but when he came in the cabin, he was laughing and told me that
Ms. Ruby said for him to go and tell our hens that this was no time to stop
laying because she had too much holiday baking to do, so get busy and start
laying.  You just have to smile at Ms. Ruby, she's such a doll!

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net