[Ag-eq] Choosing Hens

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Thu Nov 8 21:08:26 UTC 2012

Jody,

Well, yeah about the light to a degree.  I don't like pushing their natural
systems into egg laying beyond their cycle.  They have to have the multing
period in order to shed and produce new feathers properly.  Feathers are 90%
protein and protein production is shifted from producing eggs to producing
feathers.  My hens mult late fall and they need full feathering before
freezing conditions set in.  We don't have heat or light to our coops.  We
can close them offf from rain, freezing rain and snow, but not totally from
wind or cold.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net