[Ag-eq] Chickens

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Wed Mar 6 01:59:54 UTC 2013

Jody:

I'm not Susan, but yes, it's true that buck goats really stink!

Most goat dairies don't keep bucks on site because they will effect the taste of
the milk.

When we took Lollipop to the breeder, we could smell the buck as we walked out
to the pasture.  He was very sweet and wanted to be petted, by the time we left
I smelled a little like him.  Mike told me if I didn't stop petting him he was
going to make me ride in the back of the truck!

Lollipop stayed there for 3 weeks and when we went to get her she smelled almost
as bad as the buck.  It took a good month for the smell to wear off her.  I'm
sure glad I'm not a doe goat!

Unless you're going to use one for breeding, it should be castrated.  Some of
the bucks get quite aggressive and will try and knock yu down.  Lollipop's
boyfriend was very friendly, just stinky!

Nella