[Ag-eq] Gloves

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Thu Mar 7 00:06:08 UTC 2013

Michelle:

The first few times I made soap I did it with a sighted friend.  I wear gloves,
long sleeves and safety glasses.  I'm always very careful; I measure the lye
over the sink and always keep one side of the sink filled with soapy vinegar
water.  Vinegar will nutralize the lye.  This is also used to wash any tools
that come in contact with the lye.

You also need a good talking scale; your measurements need to be as accurate as
possible.  Most of the equipment will already be in your kitchen.

There is a good book on BARD called Hand Crafted Soap.  She gives very good step
by step directions and several recipes.  There are also lots of good recipes on
line.

If you have more questions just let me know.

Nella