[Ag-eq] Ponies!

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Sat Mar 9 16:34:24 UTC 2013

Jody:

How very exciting; what a surprise!

What is the other horse like?

I don't want to put a damper on things, but please be careful with a young
untrained horse.  It sounds like he has a good start, but needs to work on
trust.  Some of it will be similar to dog training, which you already know.  It
will just take a lot of time and patience.

Will the instructor be able to help you with the horses?

I know when I first got into horses it really helped to have experienced people
to help and advise.  The Clinton Anderson DVDs will be very helpful.

It sounds like you have the right idea about what items are necessary to get
started.

I use half 55 gallon barrels for water and to feed hay from.  I use rubber
feeders for their pellets and beet pulp.  I feed everything on ground level
since the horse's body is designed to eat that way.

Yes, lead ropes and halters are necessary.  I use light weight rope halters.  I
just got them at the feed store.  You can buy them from Clinton Andrson and
other trainers, but they will cost more.  I use them for leading, training and
I leave them under the bridle when riding.

The first grooming tools I got were a metal curry comb, a large body brush,
which feels kind of like a broom, it is used to sweep off the loose hair.  I
also got a smaller, softer brush for the face and a comb for the mane and tail.
 Oh, and a hoof pick is a must.  I have all kinds of things now, but these are
the ones I use most.

Worming is a little bit different in different areas.  It is so hot and dry
here, we don't have to worm as often.  You will have to do it more because of
the dampness.  You can buy wormers at feed stores and on line.  They are quite
reasonable from www.horse.com  I've seen the scheduled one, which makes things
easier.

Do you have feed stores or farm supply stores in your area?

You might be able to purchase hay directly from a grower or dealer, which brings
the price down.

Do you plan on putting shoes on the horses or keeping them barefoot?

Finding a good trimmer or farrier is very important.  It would also be a good
idea to find out about local vets, so if there is an emergency you know who to
call.  If you can afford to you might want to have a vet come and look the
horses over and give any needed vaccinations.  This way you will already have a
relationship if there is an emergency.

Will the lady deliver the horses and when are they coming?

I wish you the best and look forward to hearing all about them.  When my friends
get new horses I'm almost as excited as they are!

Nella