[Ag-eq] FW: FW: FW: Ponies!

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Mon Mar 11 17:55:53 UTC 2013

Jody:

There are certainly advantages to working with young horses who have had little
to no training.  You don't have to untrain other people's mistakes.  Usually
when you do a lot of good consistent ground work horses quickly adjust to a
saddle and rider.

We got Cruiser when he was 9 and he had issues from his previous owners.  He
didn't really like people, he was spooky and he would rear when upset or
overwhelmed.  He's much better, but still not perfect.  I think he started out
as a really nice horse, but just got screwed up.

He's much more trusting and likes most people now.  He's still a little spooky,
but nothing I can't handle.  He hasn't reared in a year and I hope he doesn't
do it again.  He's a sensetive horse and he likes to please.  He needs a calm,
gentle rider with quiet hands.  He and I are becoming a good team, but it's
taken a while.

It's great that Tom is into the horses too.  I know so many couples where only
one person has the horse bug.  I suspect that once you start working with them
you will discover that your training styles compliment each other.  I'm more
patient than Mike, but let them get away with to much.  Mike is more easily
frustrated, but can be firm when necessary.  Between the 2 of us we are able to
work through most training problems.

It sounds as if Sandy is a gold mine of information; you're lucky to have met
her.

I'm not sure about what grasses to seed, do you know what other people are
growing there?

I think Timothy has more nutrients, but not sure where all it's grown.  Grass
blends are good for nutrients and growth cycles.  There is a good book on BARD
called All Flesh Is Grass, it's by Gene Logsden.  He discusses different types
of pasture for different areas of the country.

What style of saddle are you looking for?

Also do you know what seat size you need?

My friend sold her Tucker saddle, I think it was an endurance style.  She's
using one of the saddles on another horse.  I don't know if she has any for
sale or not.

It's really best if you can try a saddle out first.  It needs to be a good fit
for you and the horse.

You have plenty of time since you won't be riding these guys for a while.  I
know a few trainers who use old beat up saddles with the young horses, just in
case they do something stupid, like go over backward.

Have you thought of more names for the horses?

Take care.

Nella