[Ag-eq] new chicks

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Tue Mar 19 21:53:29 UTC 2013

Tracy:

I think most chickens will come for food unless they're really wild.

My chickens don't get to run free because they will eat up my garden.  This
might not be such a problem if I had more room or if I lived in an area where
there was more plant life.  They have a fenced in area that is 15 by 30 feet.
The fence is 6 foot chain link with rail road ties at the bottom. It is covered
with bird netting so they won't fly out.  They have a fancy coop that I call the
condo and 2 A frame structures for shade.  There is a tree on the outside of
their run that also provides shade.

I have let them out before and when it was time to roost they went back inside.
Most of the time if you leave them in their coop for a couple of weeks, they
will know to go back there.

Nella