[Ag-eq] new chicks

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Thu Mar 21 05:24:07 UTC 2013

Hi Tracy,

Yes, chickens normally come when you call them especially when they believe
food is involved.  If your hens are skiddish around you, then they may not
be as willing, but always associating food with being around you will
usually do the trick.  Chickens will instinctually go in their coops at
night because they will roost in their safe place and they learn early that
place is their coop.  I do not let my hens free range because there are far
too many predators around here and I don't like feeding the wildlife.  LOL
All three flocks have a good sized coop with nesting boxes and pirches and
an even larger outside pen that has chicken wire on three sides and over the
top.  We had bird netting over the top, but we found it to be a big mistake
when it snowed and collected on the netting, causing it to sag and tare in
several places.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net