[Ag-eq] Spring!

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Thu Apr 18 03:34:34 UTC 2013

It will be some months before Kiwis, the generic term for those fortunate enough to dwell in "God's
Own Country"  otherwise known as New Zealand, and if you want to be up with  the latest in
ethnically sensitive terminology, , you can prefix NZ with Aotearoa-,  can cry:  "The spring has
sprung, the grass has riz, I wonder where the lambkins is?"
However, we can still look forward to reasonable daytime temps 4 another month before it starts to
get a bit parky.
In Southland, our climatic  zoning is cool temperate, we, except at an altitude of 1000 feet and
above, rarely, get snow, and if we do, it vanishes within an hour or 2 of its appearance.
New Zealand is starting to feel the effects of global warming but not, to anywhere near the extent
that you are in the northern hemisphere.  This is due, largely, to the fact that the southern
hemisphere comprises mostly ocean which absorbs much of it.
here in  Southland, we are benefitting in  that our, formerly, unremarkable summers have, for the
last 2 of them, been fantastic!
Our last really harsh winter, which many of you would think of as a very mild one, was back in 1996.
We went to bed on the night of June 30th, and all was normal and we woke up on July 1, only to find
snow stretching as far as the eye could see.
Everything was frozen:  hundred year old trees died where they stood;  farmers had a hard time
getting liquid water to their stock, and there were many deaths from dehydration;  people completely
lost their household water supply and had to rely on the generosity of  those who were lucky enough
to still have it.  Plumbers were flat out for weeks replacing burst pipes.
Here on  the BlanchRanch, by the luckiest of chances, one of my outside taps had a split washer, so
the pipe leading to that leaking tap always had moving water in it so did not freeze.
We didn't lose electricity so I could always boil up water for use in the house and to pour into the
drinking troughs for the stock.
Even though the temperatures remained below zero celsius for, exactly, 14 days, the weather was
marvellous;  brilliant sunshine with not a breath of wind:  it was wonderful!
Like a thief in the  night, the cold snap left as it had come:  that is:  with no alerting trumpet
or fanfare:  July 14:  we went to bed with the snow stretching as far as the eye could see, and we
awoke the following morning, and the frozen fairyland had gone!