[Ag-eq] garden, chicks, horses

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Thu Apr 25 06:15:54 UTC 2013

Today was ANZAC Day in which we remember New Zealand servicemen and women who have sacrificed their
lives in order that the world may be a safer and better place in which to live;  sadly so far, a
pointless sacrifice as the world is today, but we hope that human beings are, slowly, very slowly,
learning how to sort out their problems without resorting to the sword:  the evidence of that
learning is still very sketchy, but what can we do but hope for a better tomorrow!
and what I hear you ask, does the acronum ANZAC stand for?  Australia-New Zealand Army Corps: the
name that was given to the combined force that was thrown together and whose, what proved to be *
impossible task it was   to capture the Galipolli Peninsula in 1915.  April 25th  was the date on
which the troops waded ashore and were, immediately, mown down by the turks who had some
foreknowledge of the anticipated invasion.
The anzacs were part of the british army, and the brits were there and did suffer their losses, but
we hear very little of their part in the fiasco.  What we do know, or have been told is that several
battallions of british tommies just sat around their campfires trinking tea while they watched their
antipodean partners being slaughtered and waited for the order to attack:    an order that never
came from their  elderly and panic-stricken commander.
The Turkish defenders and the invading Ausies and Kiwis ,both suffered the greatest of hardships
during 6 months of the bloodiest and most futile warfare that could ever be imagined.
I can't remember the date of the evacuation, but one day, what was left of the Anzacs were there on
the beach and the next day, they were gone, having been taken off by the Royal Navy overnight and
taken from the fryingpan that was the Galipolli and dumped into the fire that was North Africa.

Today it was 98 years since the landing and, as the years go by,  the crowds attending the dawn and
later parades and services are growing, not diminishing.  I imagine that the centenary in 2015 will
be an occasion when no effort will be spared to make it a memorable one!