[Ag-eq] Chicken Killer

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Mon May 6 02:23:24 UTC 2013

Jody,

Well, that particular coop had the only rooster I have remaining.  His name
is Gonzo and he is a black and white bard rock.  He probably knew there
would be nothing he could do and stayed up on a higher purch.  It also could
have been because of him that only two hens were killed.  If I still had my
Rhoad Island Red rooster named Big Red, I'll bet Red would have sent
whatever the animal was packing or would have died himself trying.

Right now, the only thing we can do is drive a few rebar or wooden stakes in
any area in the back of the coops where the wood meets the ground that seems
scratched at as an attempt to dig under the base of the coops.  The back of
coops 2 and 3 have about a 3-1/2 foot covered walkway for us to be able to
work in and out of those two coops out of the weather and to keep us from
having to shovel snow away from the back doors.  Then directly behind the
walkways is a thick wooded hedge row that seperates all three coops from the
barn area.  This is real sheltered and a perfect place for animals to duck
into and not be seen from the house.

If I could, I'd ship the fox down to your garden patch with specific
instructions for him to earn his keep by eating your rabits and if he were
to tuch your hens, then he would be fed to the nearest gater!

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net