[Ag-eq] Munching from the garden

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed May 22 18:39:35 UTC 2013

I've just started getting the first harvest from my garden--lettuce and
radishes.  I know y'all in warm places are streaks past that, but it's
exciting for me.
Every spring, I tell myself that, this year, I'll remember to plant new
seeds every 2 or 3 weeks.  Then I forget, just like I did again this year.
I might be able to sneak in a few more lettuces and radishes, though, before
it gets really hot.
This year, I'm trying a French Breakfast-type radish.  It's one of the
icicle-shaped ones.  I picked the first one today, to put into tonight's
salad.  It's supposed to be a mild radish, unless I've left it too long.
Mine is long and fat, more like a short carrot than a radish.

For the last couple years, I let the Prosso millet the birds planted by the
birdfeeder grow.  It's kinda pretty, like corn.  Now I want to get rid of
it, and it's created all these thick underground runners, kinda like bamboo.
It's going to require quite a bit of digging.  What a mistake!