[Ag-eq] Figs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Sep 4 14:42:07 UTC 2013

My fig harvest started yesterday.  I never had figs before I came out East,
but I love them now.  There's about an hour's grace between when they're
ready to eat and when some critter finds them, but it's worth the trouble of
checking often.  They're really big and plentiful this year, too.
When my fig tree was small, I kept it in a big pot, and put bags of leaves
around it in the winter.  Then I got a pop-up greenhouse, and planted the
fig where I could put the greenhouse over it in the winter.  Last year, the
fig was too big for the greenhouse, so it was on its own, and it did fine.
Some of the branch tips die back every winter, with new branches growing
farther down, so it's more like a big bush than a tree.  It's easy to reach
even the highest fruit, but I have to walk all around its wide self to find
everything..  And sometimes the squirrels and birds find the fruit before I
do.
I'm not worrying about preserving figs, though I know they dry well.  But
I'm only getting 2 or 3 a day, so I just eat them right up.
I am getting good fruit crops this year, for some reason.