[Ag-eq] Classification of sheep meat: wasRe: Lambing on the BlanchRanch: a tragedy

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Thu Sep 26 04:33:10 UTC 2013

I did, or thought that I did send a message to  ag-eq regarding classification of sheep meat, but,
perhaps it is on its way to outer space following the tracks left by Voyager.

Repeated message:  When I was a kid, sheep meat was sold as red stripe, blue stripe or
yellow stripe:  red being first class lamb, blue: hogget and yellow: mutton.
 The stripe qualification was dispensed with years ago, but the classifications of lamb, hogget and
mutton are still used, but they do not, exactly, mirror the age classifications of the live animal,
so in the butcher shop, lamb is from birth to 1 year, hogget from 1 to 2 and mutton from 2 and
older.
I think that if you were to ask for hogget in an American butchery, unless the butcher was a Kiwi,
he, or she, would look at you with raised eyebrows and ask if it was sucking pig that you wanted!