[Ag-eq] Knitting

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Thu Sep 26 22:03:43 UTC 2013

On the sites I have looked at, the possum/merino blend doesn't seem to have been given a name such
as Possumer or meriposs. Actually, * possimer, sounding so much like gossamer  wouldn't be a bad
name given its lightness and softness!
The possum I speak of is, I think, quite
different to the possum that you know.  the fur is that of the Australian Ring-tailed possum.
The reason for the blended yarn being unique to New Zealand is that even though Australia has an
ample supply of merinos and ditto of ring-tailed possums, in Ausie they, the possum is protected
while in New Zealand they are an infernal  pest and are killed, hence the availability of fur.
Actually, it was no thanks to somebody last century who had the bright idea of starting a fur
industry by importing the possum.  The idea failed but the possum flourished as have most of our
exotic animal introductions who have gone on to cost the country untold millions of dollars in
trying to erradicate them, and as that, largely, has proved to be impossible, at least to control
their numbers.
As I said above, the original idea of a fur industry failed, and the possums were just left to
multiply out in the bush, until, that is, the wildlife division of internal affairs, now DOC
(Department of
Conservation) started the campaign to erradicate, if possible, the possum:  mainly, at the time, in
an effort to stem the spread of bovine tb for which the possum was thought to be the prime vector,
at first, the carcasses of the slain were just left to rot, but then pelts started coming onto the
market and, for a while, the trappers did very well as quality skins were selling for very high
prices, but like most "get rich quick" schemes, the bottom fell out of the market and, once again,
carcasses were just left where they had died.
However, a small fur industry has arisen providing possum jackets, gloves and hats for, mainly, the
Japanese tourist market using the entire pelt , and, latterly, hand-plucking the skins for just the
fur.
There is a small export trade in tanned skins which, for the purposes of export go by the name of
kiwi bear.
For a time, along with rabbit and fitch farmings for furs, and meat as wellin the case of rabbits, ,
there were also possum farms, but none of those alternative undertakings really took off because of
the fear that animals of those 3 species which were, already pests in the wild would escape, or be,
intentionally, released to join their free-living, but we would prefer them dead, brethren.
One or two canny entrepreneurs have also started processing the possum meat for pet food.