[Ag-eq] guide dogs

Fred's Win7 Catastrophe regenerative at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 16 20:15:33 UTC 2013

Good questions Barb,
I'm on my first guide dog.  He'll be  7-years old
at the end of this week, and  I'll probably
retire him in another year and a half.  I’m
40-something, been  legally blind from a head
injury when I was 21-years old.  I was a good
cane traveler, with about 20-years of
experience.  I can see a little in the upper-left
corner of my visual field, which isn’t very
useful for walking.  I often use a hoe or
long-handled fish net  like a long white cane  on
farms that I worked on.  Still, holes would
appear, trenches would be dug, or any number of
obstacles would  pop-up.  When I switched to a
guide dog from <http://www.guidedogs.com/>www.guidedogs.com
it made me a much safer and faster walker
offroad.  He eats about  a cup and a half of
kibble  in the mornings, 2 cups of kibble in late
afternoons, and  drinks  as much water as he
wants, day and night.   I don't have to take the
dog for a walk.  He goes wherever I go, whenever
I go.  He works in rain, snow, ice, mud, mulch,
sand, gravel, grass, and pavement.  He can even
climb ladders, but keep that under your hat.
In snow, ice, mud, gravel, soft soil, grass,
etc.  – the dog kicks ass over a cane!

I didn't get him for companionship, but simply
for better mobility off paved surfaces.  I
attract enough attention on my own.  But he
really attracts attention, good and bad, so a dog
is a way to meet  people.  Some days, it is
almost like trying to sneak through town next to
a famous rockstar.  That can be a pain.  He isn’t
much for conversation, and  is  kind of like  having a  nosy little brother.

Overall, he is patient, smart, quiet, and always
ready to go whenever or wherever I'm going.
He is just under 80-Pounds, and bigger than I was
expecting.  This actually comes in handy.  When
walking over slick surfaces, I've got 4-more feet
on the ground, not to mention his 80-Pounds of
ballast in my left hand.  We walk along rivers,
streams, beaches, and cliffs, over cobbles and
boulders small and big.  I am able to walk where
I would  otherwise  need to crawl over rocks and
logs.  The dog kicks ass over a long white
cane.    When we approach a waist to chest-high
berm, fallen logs, or other obstacle, I command
him to jump-up and hold steady.  I then grab his
harness strap, and scramble up.  Try doing that with a white cane.

Ever misplace your white cane?  A dog comes when
you call, or more likely anticipates  your call
by observing your actions.  My dog loves his job,
and we are buddies.  He is very friendly with
people of all ages, pets and livestock, and
enjoys hiking, backpacking, sleeping in a tent,
travel on busses, trains, planes, autos, boats,
kayaks, and even  in a trailer behind my  tandem bike.

Good luck,

Fred, near San Diego