[Ag-eq] guide dogs

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Thu Oct 17 20:28:42 UTC 2013

Tracy,

My one and only dog guide was from Seeing Eye, a female golden retreaver
named Posie.  I got her right after I graduated highschool and before moving
into my own apartment and going to community college.  That was in 81 and I
retired her in 91 here on the farm and then had to put her down in 93
because her hips were so bad that she could not get herself off the floor or
even walk outside to go to the bathroom without half carrying her.  The
lions club of Virginia Beach wanted to send me to Leader Dog to get my
second one, but since Matt was still active Navy and they kept trying to
send us to Guam, Cuba or Japan, and I would not be able to have a dog there,
I decided not to get another one.

I really liked using a dog because I was a slow cane traveller and I was
afraid I would be too slow crossing the street from my apartment to the
college a couple times a day.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net