[Ag-eq] Green Goats

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Oct 19 14:32:19 UTC 2013

I just read a big article in my local paper about how an organization hired
a herd of goats to clean up a lot of poison ivy growing in some woods they
want to make available for hiking and nature studies.  They paid about $3200
to the company Green Goats to have the herd for a few weeks.  The company
required the organization to make sure someone came every day to give the
goats water and such.  I thought that was odd.  If they were my goats, I'd
want to check on them myself, and not leave it to strangers.  Or maybe I or
the writer misunderstood that bit.
The article said the goats did a good job.  The town was supposed to follow
up and spray the roots, but they waited too long, and the poison ivy grew
back, so they might need the goats again.
But anyway, it seems like people with goat herds could make good money
renting them out.