[Ag-eq] Electrical storm

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Sat Dec 7 04:40:24 UTC 2013

I love them, and my animals  are not, at all, upset about them, and that, I am sure, is because they
sense that I think that they, electrical storms, are wonderful, and if Mum thinks that they are
wonderful, being the great judge of wonderfulness that she is, they must be!
Anyway!  to this particular storm;  we don't get many coming through Gore and those that do, don't
stop to admire the scenery, but hurry on north, but this one was different, in that, it hung around
for a very long time: well over an hour I would guess from the first clap which was over to the
south west of Gore, travelling, slowly, very slowly to the north east.  The area north east of us
must have got a real hammering.

When I heard the first clap, I got my little Wilson recorder, but found that the batteries were
flat, but I remembered that I had some batteries that I thought might have been the right type
rolling around in a desk drawer.  I found them and they were good to go, so I managed to record a
good deal of the thunder.
In my 74 years, I don't recall a storm like it!
Now some points of interest:  why are some claps just a deep boom, while others sound like someone
dragging a sheet of iron/tin along a road?  One particular peal rolled on, unbroken, for, I guess,
nearly 10 minutes.
There was lightning, of course, but, being daylight, I couldn't see it (I would have been able to if
it had been at night!). We got rain, but reasonably gentle rain, and don't we need it, but no hail!
It was ***  FANTASTIC!