[Ag-eq] What's up

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Jan 17 13:15:04 UTC 2014

Hi Nella and all.
I didn't mean to ignore you; I've just been swamped with work.
The weather in Phoenix sounds delightful just now, though I still wouldn't
want to live in the desert.  It was really cold here last week, but now it's
back to the 30's and 40's.  Last week, it was between 3 and 15. Brrr!  Most
of my patio plants spend the winter in our attic.  It's insulated, but not
heated.  It usually stays comfortably cool, but last week I had to cover my
plants because it was downright nippy up there.  They seem to have come
through OK, happily.  I won't know about some of my more tender perennials
outside until spring comes.  We'll see.
Two of the plants I brought in for the winter are Chinese hibiscus, who are
living in the dining room.  They're blooming a lot this winter!  Every few
days, another big, beautiful flower opens up.  I need flowers in the winter.
I'm also waiting for my amaryllis to wake up.  I've had the bulb for years.
I put it outside when the weather warms up, and bring it in for a rest in
the fall.  It's never ready to wake up in time for the holidays, but it
usually has flowers in February or March.  My original bulb got so big it
had a child bulb, so now I'll have even more beautiful flowers!

I'm starting to give a little thought to next year's garden, with all the
seed catalogs rolling in.  I wish it was easier to read them.  But mainly,
it's still too cold for me to really get into garden mode yet.

In the fall, I found one of my kale plants was just covered in insect eggs.
I'm afraid I'm going to have a cabbage worm attack, come spring, even though
I pulled the plant and tossed it.   I have to research organic controls for
the little buggers.

Anyway, that's what's up with me.  Anyone else care to chime in?