[Ag-eq] Chickens in the cold

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Fri Jan 17 19:46:55 UTC 2014

Hi Tracy,

No, coops don't have heaters, but there are cold hardy chickens.  In the
chick catalogs, they are marked with a snowflake.  I just make sure their
water doesn't stay frozen, dumping ice and putting warm water back in so it
takes a little while before it freezes again.  I keep their windows shut in
winter and open with screens in the summer.  If it is really wet, then we
have a long board that can be either put in their coop or just out in their
yard for their scratch.  My husband likes to use the board out in their run
area when there is snow and ice on the ground.  As long as they have good
shelter out of the wind, wet and snow, they do alright.

Watch their feeding and their multing because they will need a bit more
protein during that time.  Our chickens always seemed to mult in November
and December.  Unfortunately, we now have no more chickens thanks to the
farel cats and a pair of foxes.  We are going to take this down time to
totally strip the coops and reinforce problem areas.  I am even thinking
about getting some turkeys.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net