[Ag-eq] Chickens in the cold

Zach Mason zmason.northwindsfarm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 14:36:37 UTC 2014

Probably shouldn't be saying anything, but I can say from experience a feral
variety of chickens, one that bred purely through natural selection,
propagated on my farm without being fed or housed through all climate
extremes of northern New Hampshire. It all started when a loan rooster
escaped from a cattle dealer's trailer. Dick said when he went to roost at
night we could catch him easily enough and he'd be back again next week.
Well, that rooster roosted, 20 feet high in our barn rafters. Jasper, as we
decided to name him, ended up surviving the winter, which in January dips
below -30 degrees, and in the spring Dick dropped off four additional black
hens because my dad had to complain the rooster was "chasing the pidgins."

Those five original birds propagated a hearty population of feral chickens.
>From time to time we would come across a clutch of eggs or abandoned chicks
and incubate or give them to neighbors. At one time we probably had around
70 birds. Supposedly they were good for fly control. Now we have one loan
rooster. A former employee asked if he could take the chickens to start a
flock of his own. As the birds weren't providing us with any income and were
actually having a deleterious effect rusting the stalls whenever they
defecated from on high, we gladly allowed him to catch up the flock. All but
one. Once again we have a loan rooster who I call Jasper Junior.

Now I'm not recommending a true "cage free" or "free range" system, because
as I've hinted already we never collected a single egg from our birds.