[Ag-eq] Lambing

Zach Mason via Ag-eq ag-eq at nfbnet.org
Wed May 14 18:44:13 UTC 2014

Lambing is controlled by four factors. Ability of the breed(s) of sheep to
breed out of season, health of the ewe, health of the ram, and when the ram
is put in with the ewes. Some flocks use what is called the "Star Program,"
which simply means ewes give birth five times every three years or roughly
give birth every seven months. We are a traditional flock lambing in the
spring, but this year we decided to lamb starting in May rather than April
to take advantage of the warmer temperatures. Depending on the ewe raising
triplets is feasible. The last two years we had one ewe raise four lambs
each year. Last year we fed supplemental milk replacer to start, but the
little buggers would steal off of the other ewes and we eventually stopped.

Zac