[Ag-eq] A day of horrors

Jewel via Ag-eq ag-eq at nfbnet.org
Sun Jun 1 10:37:57 UTC 2014

My remaining goat, Heidi died today in, precisely, the same way as her brother, Minstrel, did a week
ago:  absolutely no sign that there is anything wrong and then:  WHOOSH:  they are down and there
seems nothing that can be done.
I called the vet, but he didn't have any idea, but made some suggestions:  an infectious disease as
the 2 goats had died within a few days of each other, salmonella or some such, but, personally, I
think that it was my old nemesis of Clostridia, which is a naturally-occurring soil organism which,
usually, is quite innocuous, and then, for some unknown reason, it goes manic and strikes at the
speed of light and without any warning.
The vet took a fecal sample which will be cultured and then he might be able to find out what it
was/is.
I have had goats die of gastro-enteritis which is caused by the C organism, but not for many years.
When the vet came, Heidi's body temperature had dropped markedly, but on my last trip out to the
barn to give her her next lot of dexalite, and found her dead:  she had died not long before I got
out there, her temperature, judging from her nose and tongue, was normal:  very strange!
Not only did I lose Heidi, but my dog killed and eat one of my rabbits.  They had escaped: god knows
how:  from there night shed and had come through into the backyard.  Guideon has been waiting since
January for just such an opportunity and he took it, but Peter, the veteran escapee got away.  I
don't know where he is now, but he was under the house.  I don't know how we are going to catch the
little bastard, and I have to keep the dog on a long line until we do or I give up.