[Ag-eq] rural living questions

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Thu Aug 14 03:10:13 UTC 2014

Hi Nela,

I live in a rural area where there is no public or paratransit systems
available.  I have never felt isolated here because my husband and sister,
who live with me, are both sighted and drive.  So, I can go wherever and
whenever I need to.  There are 3 small towns that are within 5 to 20 miles
from us and in 3 different counties and we plan trips out to cover as many
stops as possible so we are not making multiple trips in a week.  I also
have quite a few family members within 5 miles and just as many within 10
miles and they have assisted me when necessary.

Now when I lived in Virginia Beach, I used a paratransit system for door to
door service to work every day.  I would also use them to go to doctor's
appointments when my husband was out to sea.  I had my best friend at work
who helpped me with paying my bills when he was over seas, another friend
who would take me to a store between my scheduled shopping trips and my aunt
would drive down twice a month from Richmond and take me grocery shopping
and I would go home to Richmond every other weekend.

I have friends who are a blind couple and they had to take a taxie nearly
every where they went and it was becoming a great expense so they finally
sold their house, baught a townhouse about 5 miles away and now they are in
an area they can easily walk to at least 10 stores on their own and get
assistance with shopping from each of the stores.

If you can find assistance outside the family, you may be more comfortable
with that than worrying about feeling like you are putting family members
out and they just don't know how to tell you no.  You may feel a bit more
indipendent because you took care of the situation on your own instead of
going to family.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net