[Ag-eq] Aquaponics

Fred's Win7 Catastrophe regenerative at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 21 21:49:17 UTC 2014

Hey, thinks for remembering!

Aquatic animals like to eat.  Catfish, trouts, salmons, basses etc
are difficult to reproduce and expensive to feed.  Keep it cheaper by
growing fish that eat lower on the food chain.  if you want to grow
fish and plants together indoors, you'll want a lot of light.  If
you've got a room with south and west facing windows in the Northern
Hemisphere, or north and west facing windows in the Southern
Hemisphere, you should use as much of the free sunlight as you
can.  You will probably have to heat your water in the cool/cold
months.  The light is important not just for its heat, but it keeps
the algae healthy.  The photosynthesis of the algae makes Oxygen for
the fish.

What works well is a polyculture of fish species that are temperature
tolerant and work well together.  Instead of goldfish, which aren't
valuable as food, we grew Common Carp.  They are more like koi, and
can survive very cold water.  Northern Europeans call them "Christmas
carp," because that's what they traditionally eat around the December
holidays.  Carps are good at stirring up the sand and gravel from the
bottoms of tanks and ponds as they search for algae and
bacteria.  That sifting of the sediments keeps nutrients up in the
water column.

Tilapia like Oreochromus mozambicus are from southern Africa, so
are  known for being more temperature tolerant than the tropical
Tilapias.  They are fun because they use their gills like rakes, and
screen algae out of the water column.  Tilapia usually cannot
overwinter, without heating the water.

Mostly vegetarians, both carps and tilapias will eat algae and
bacteria clumps off the roots of floating plants.  They also nip off
some of the roots, but the plants don't seem to care.  They are happy
to eat old breads, flours and grains with weevils, pretzels, etc.,

A good plant that can be found in many Asian food markets is Chinese
water spinach.  It'll grow  on top of your tanks or ponds.  It can
grow very fast under ideal conditions, and you can eat it raw or
cooked, like other spinaches.  It is a little sweeter than most
terrestrial spinaches.

Check with local experts to find out which  plants and animals are
legal in your area.

Here's a link to more water spinach info, below.

Fred

http://aquaponicsglobal.com/category/water-spinach/