[Ag-eq] Getting around in the country

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Fri Mar 13 16:20:41 UTC 2015

Tracy:

I didn't move around much in the ice and snow either.  I was able to get around
here to feed and water and such.  I haven't had to travel in snow for years, so
was out of practice.  I forgot how hard it is to feel things with a cane.  The
ice really makes me nervous; I'm not interested in taking a big spill.

My house is in a small town of 1800 people.  The property has 3 acres, so is
zoned agricultural, even though it's in the city limits.  I can walk to
everything, not that there's much here.  We have a grocery store, drug store,
medical clinic, dentist, post office, Dollar General, several antique and flea
markets, library, a hard ware store and 2 farm supply stores.  There are also 5
places
to eat, a bar and a liquor store.  You can get all the basics, but won't be
doing any giant shopping sprees!

Both of the farm supply stores will deliver to my home, which is nice.  They
provide this service for other customers, not just me.

There is a bus that goes into Fayetteville, which is about 20 miles away.  I
think it leaves 5 or 6 times daily, Monday through Friday.  I don't know if it
leaves early enough in the morning to make it possible to work in Fayetteville.
 Fayetteville has around 75,000 people and the University of Arkansas is there.

If I had to work out of the home full time this might not be possible.  The bus
does not run on weekends, so I have to get more creative about transportation.
I have found a stay at home mom who is willing to serve as a taxi with advanced
notice.  I also have a retired Aunt who lives close and lets me ride with her
when she goes into Fayetteville for shopping and such.

I don't think I would have been happy with this when I was younger, but it works
at this point in my life.  I enjoy staying home, caring for the animals and
working in the yard.

What is the transportation like where you live?

Do you have any tips for traveling through snow and ice?

Nella