[Ag-eq] Gardens

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Jun 18 12:57:11 UTC 2015

Hi Nella.
Sprinkling diatomaceous earth around plants is supposed to discourage worms and slugs from getting on your cabbage.  It's made of tiny ground-up shells, and it cuts the worms' soft bodies.  Or so I've read.  It's not cheap, but a little goes a good way, I think.

My tomatoes are doing well.  I could have some cherry tomatoes in a couple weeks, which is early here.  My tomato seeds didn't come up at all, so I bought some heirloom plants from a CSA I know.  They're really nice.
I was just about to get some lettuce and spinach, then I went away for a week, and, when I came back, Mr. Groundhog had paid me a visit and munched all my greens down to the ground.  Or maybe it was rabbits--some nibbling varmint.  I renewed the groundhog spray, and so far, so good, but maybe they're waiting for some new growth before striking again.
I'm getting garlic scapes, which I better harvest soon.
I'm getting good turnips, which I also better harvest soon.
I've already had a big oregano harvest, and can soon have another.
Mr. Groundhog also chomped my coreopsis, but it's recovering, and the other flowers are doing well, though I have this horrible wild morning glory trying to strangle some of them.
The apple tree has lots of little apples, and the blueberry in the sunny location has lots of berries.  I've even gotten some strawberries before the squirrels did.  And the fig survived the winter, though it's getting a slow start.  Not helped by me running over one of its new branches with the lawnmower.
And I got poison ivy last weekend, weeding in the yard.  Yeck.